An explosion of COVID-19 cases in Northern Kentucky is exceeding the flexibility of well being division employees to analyze circumstances as intently because it has for the reason that novel coronavirus pandemic started.
“This must be a wake-up name to the neighborhood,” stated Dr. Lynne Saddler, district director for the Northern Kentucky Health Department, which covers Boone, Campbell, Kenton and Grant counties. “Public well being is the primary line of protection in any outbreak of illness. When the unfold of illness akin to COVID is as speedy and uncontrolled as we are actually seeing, public well being should prioritize an important actions to take to attempt to stop additional unfold.”
The investigations are performed by contact tracers who assist determine shut contacts of people who find themselves COVID-19 optimistic, inform them learn how to quarantine and supply details about COVID-19. It is a option to curtail viral unfold by the neighborhood. Northern Kentucky Well being has about 60 contact tracers.
To deal with the newest onslaught of circumstances, the division’s contact tracers are limiting their notifications to a few of those that had been near the COVID-19 victims within the days previous their optimistic take a look at consequence.
Here is what’s taking place as a substitute: “We’re asking people who take a look at optimistic to inform their shut private contacts and supply them with a handout on what to do subsequent,” stated Stephanie Vogel, one of many well being division’s epidemiologists. “Most people who’re optimistic notify these they’ve been in shut contact with already. NKY Well being will nonetheless be notifying employers, faculties or another organizations that want notified.”
Coronavirus in Kentucky: Traveling for the holidays? Here are states with Kentucky COVID-19 travel restrictions
The contact tracers are also shortening their interviews with COVID-19-positive individuals to save lots of time, officers stated.
The rise in circumstances has been staggering. Here is a technique to take a look at it: In all of September, the four-county area had 720 circumstances. In only one week, the final week in October, the counties had 1,182 circumstances.
Similar to the remainder of the commonwealth (Kentucky), the variety of circumstances in NKY is outstripping the capability of the general public well being system to proceed contact tracing within the method that we have now been performing,” Saddler stated.
The well being division’s COVID-19 dashboard Thursday stated there have been 175 new circumstances reported within the earlier 24-hour interval of posting and three new deaths. The location says the area had 4,131 lively circumstances of COVID-19.
Right here is a breakdown of circumstances by county as of Thursday:
Boone County: 2,984.
Campbell County: 1,918.
Grant County: 448.
Kenton County: 3,641.
The unfold all through Kentucky prompted Gov. Andy Beshear to issue new COVID-19 mandates within the commonwealth.
All private and non-private Okay-12 schools will close to in-person instruction starting Monday by the top of the semester. The one exception is for elementary faculties in counties outdoors the “pink zone,” which can reopen on Dec. 7 if the varsity follows all pointers.
Additionally, beginning today (Nov. 20) and lasting till Dec. 13 in Kentucky:
- Eating places and bars are ordered to shut to indoor eating providers. Outside eating remains to be allowed, with some limitations.
- Gyms are restricted to one-third of their capability, and no group courses or indoor video games are allowed. Masks are required.
- Indoor gatherings must be restricted to 2 households, not exceeding a complete of eight individuals.
- Attendance at weddings and funerals is restricted to 25 individuals.
- Skilled providers ought to have staff work at home when attainable and restrict their workplaces to one-third capability.
Saddler continued to induce residents to observe security precautions, together with these:
- Put on a masks masking your mouth and nostril anytime you permit your property.
- Keep at the very least 6 ft away from others outdoors your property.
- Be alert for signs of COVID-19 and discuss along with your physician when you or a member of the family develops signs.
- Keep residence if you really feel sick.
- Wash fingers typically with cleaning soap and water for 20 seconds.