Scalloped potatoes are thinly sliced layered potatoes baked in a creamy garlic and herb sauce, making them tender and flavorful. Hearty and simple to make, that is the right aspect dish to any meal!
In case you’re in want of a straightforward aspect dish that’s certain to impress then that is the recipe for you! These thinly sliced potatoes bake up additional creamy. Your entire dish is so flavorful due to the addition of garlic and herbs. Serve this alongside the Garlic and Herb Prime Rib, Beef Tenderloin, Beef Wellington, or this Classic Honey Glazed Ham.
The Finest Scalloped Potatoes
Potatoes are mainly aspect dish magic. They will accomplish that many issues. And regardless of the way you make them, they normally find yourself being the spotlight of the meal! These scalloped potatoes aren’t any totally different. This recipe is straightforward to make and solely wants a handful of components.
The scalloped potatoes are lined in a creamy sauce made with garlic and parmesan. It not solely helps to tenderize the potatoes, however offers the dish one of the best taste ever! These all the time fly off the desk each time I make them. They’re the right aspect dish to serve alongside any hearty meal!
Making this hearty, flavorful aspect dish doesn’t require many components in any respect! Right here’s the whole lot you want, preserving it brief and candy with stuff you’ll doubtless have available already. Precise measurements are within the recipe card under.
- Yukon Gold or Russet Potatoes: These potatoes type the bottom of scalloped potatoes. They’re starchy and maintain their form properly throughout cooking, creating tender layers. Use both sort primarily based in your desire!
- Entire Milk: Entire milk makes the sauce good and creamy. It additionally provides richness and a clean texture to the scalloped potatoes.
- Heavy Cream: Mixed with the entire milk to create a luscious texture. In case you want a barely lighter model, substitute with half and half.
- Salt and Pepper: Make sure the potatoes and sauce are well-seasoned. Season to style!
- Bay Leaf: Infuses a mild earthy and floral aroma into the dish.
- Thyme: Thyme is a flexible herb with a minty and lemony style. It enhances the scalloped potatoes completely. Recent or dried thyme each work!
- Garlic: Garlic provides a powerful, savory and scrumptious taste to the scalloped potatoes. Use contemporary minced garlic so your dish has one of the best taste!
- Parmesan Cheese: Freshly grated Parmesan cheese brings a pointy, nutty, and savory taste to the dish. It types a golden and crispy crust on prime when baked, including a pleasant texture. It’s also possible to attempt utilizing various kinds of cheese, like gruyere or cheddar!
What Potatoes are Finest?
Russet potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes are nice selections for making scalloped potatoes. The rationale behind that’s the starches. That is going to assist the sauce thicken and develop into velvety clean throughout baking. Russets have probably the most starch, Yukon Golds are available shut behind. The Yukon Golds themselves bake up a bit creamier than the Russets, however the sauce itself could be a bit thinner. It’s all about what you like.
Make Scalloped Potatoes
These scalloped potatoes solely take quarter-hour of prep time, which makes them good for popping within the oven earlier than a gathering with associates or household!
- Preheat Oven, Prep Pan: Preheat oven to 350 levels Fahrenheit. Spray a 2 quart glass or ceramic baking dish with non stick cooking spray after which put aside.
- Slice Potatoes: Clear and dry the potatoes. Slice the potatoes evenly into ¼ inch slices. You may peel the potatoes should you want earlier than slicing, nevertheless it’s not required.
- Add Sauce Substances: In a big pot or dutch oven add the milk, cream, salt and white pepper. Stir to mix.
- Stir in Seasonings: Add within the bayleaf, contemporary thyme and garlic. Stir. Warmth over medium/low warmth simply to warmth the milk, to not carry to a boil.
- Add Potatoes: Add within the potatoes. There isn’t sufficient cream to cowl the potatoes. Fastidiously stir in order that the entire potatoes are capable of be warmed within the milk combination.
- Switch to Baking Dish: Utilizing a slotted spoon take away the potatoes from the cream after which lay within the baking dish in even layers.
- Cowl With Cream and Cheese: Pour the cream excessive of the potatoes. Then prime with shredded parmesan cheese.
- Bake: Bake for 50-60 minutes uncovered at 350 levels Fahrenheit till the potatoes are fork tender and the highest is golden.
- Enable Sauce to Thicken: Take away from the oven and permit the dish to sit down for at the least 10 minutes previous to serving, this enables time for the cream to thicken barely whereas cooling.
Scalloped Potatoes vs. Potatoes Au Gratin
They’re truly totally different. Though, most individuals will use the phrases interchangeably. Scalloped potatoes are historically sliced thinner, about 1/eighth of an inch thick. Potatoes Au Gratin may have a thicker slice of ¼ inch. Scalloped potatoes are cooked in a cream sauce whereas potatoes au gratin are cooked in a cream sauce and layered with cheese. In case you’re pro-cheese like me, then by all means, add cheese to your scalloped potatoes and name them no matter you need. In actual fact, we’ll be placing some contemporary grated parmesan on these potatoes. Cheese and creamy potatoes simply go collectively too completely.
Ideas for Making the Finest Scalloped Potatoes
Though scalloped potatoes are pretty straightforward to make, listed here are a couple of additional suggestions to bear in mind in order that they end up completely.
- Uniform Slices: The potatoes must be sliced good and skinny. It’s additionally vital that they’re all minimize to the identical width. Utilizing a pointy knife will assist with this. If in case you have some thick slices and a few skinny slices, the potatoes will bake inconsistently. The thicker slices received’t be cooked by and the thinner slices may prepare dinner an excessive amount of and switch into mashed potatoes.
- Use a Mandolin Slicer: If in case you have considered one of these available it is going to make the slicing course of fly by rapidly, simply watch out together with your fingers.
- Can I Omit the Heavy Cream? I don’t advocate it. The rationale that cream or half and half is utilized in mixture with the entire milk is that you just want a excessive fats content material. In any other case, when baked, the milk will curdle and separate. Utilizing cream prevents the curdling from happening.
- Extra Combine-Ins: Make these potatoes your individual! Attempt including cubed ham, caramelized onions, bacon, chives, inexperienced onions, herbs, you identify it!
Like plenty of different potato dishes, scalloped potatoes make nice leftovers! Simply allow them to calm down utterly after which switch them to an hermetic container.
- Within the Fridge: Scalloped potatoes will final for as much as 4 days. Be sure you preserve them wrapped tightly with plastic wrap or saved in an hermetic container.
- Reheating: Reheat potatoes within the microwave till warmed by, or within the oven for about 10 minutes at 350 levels Fahrenheit.
Preheat oven to 350 ℉. Spray a 2 quart glass or ceramic baking dish with non stick cooking spray and put aside.
Clear and dry the potatoes. Slice the potatoes evenly into ¼ inch slices. You may peel the potatoes should you want earlier than slicing, nevertheless it’s not required.
In a big pot or dutch oven add the milk, cream, salt and white pepper. Stir to mix.
Add within the bayleaf, contemporary thyme and garlic. Stir. Warmth over medium/low warmth simply to warmth the milk, to not carry to a boil.
Add within the potatoes. There is not sufficient cream to cowl the potatoes. Fastidiously stir in order that the entire potatoes are capable of be warmed within the milk combination.
Utilizing a slotted spoon take away the potatoes from the cream and lay within the baking dish in even layers.
Pour the cream excessive of the potatoes.
Prime with shredded parmesan cheese.
Bake for 50-60 minutes uncovered at 350℉ till the potatoes are fork tender and the highest is golden.
Take away from the oven and permit the dish to sit down for at the least 10 minutes previous to serving, this enables time for the cream to thicken barely whereas cooling.
Up to date on Might 22, 2023
Energy172kcal (9%)Carbohydrates3g (1%)Protein6g (12%)Fats15g (23%)Saturated Fats9g (45%)Ldl cholesterol52mg (17%)Sodium661mg (28%)Potassium79mg (2%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar2g (2%)Vitamin A584IU (12%)Vitamin C1mg (1%)Calcium204mg (20%)Iron1mg (6%)
All dietary info relies on third celebration calculations and is barely an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will range relying on the manufacturers you employ, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.